How to Keep Your Cool Without Air Conditioning
Did you know home cooling accounts for 5% of the energy we consume in the U.S. yearly? Totaling about 140 million+ tons of CO2 emissions annually! WOW… Here is a list to help with your electric bills and the environment.
- Keep the shades drawn during the day. When sunlight streams through the windows, it creates a miniature greenhouse effect in your home.
- Window treatments: Try one of these energy saving ideas… Reflective Window Film, Blackout Curtains or Blinds, not only do they block light and heat, also sound.
- Add trees and bushes around your home for great sun cover. The shade will help block lots of the steamy summer sun’s rays.
- Insulate your home! One of the fastest ways your cool air gets out is from little cracks and leaks by doors and windows. Don’t cool down your neighborhood! Seal off anywhere that air might be escaping. Check out this article on finding leaks and repairing them- How to find leaks in your home.
- Nothing worse than being hot at bed time! Try a smart cool pillow pad or Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper. You can find great products online and in your local department stores like Target.
- Redirect your ceiling fans to counter clockwise. Running you fan clockwise will push warm air down! Reverse it to circulate cool air down. Click for this video with pointers.
- Drink cold beverages….. forget it, you got this one!!!
- Avoid using the oven. Great excuse to fire up your grill! (less cleanup also). The oven and stove top add quite a bit of heat, even for just a quick meal.
- Make the switch to CFL or LED light bulbs. Remove incandescent lights. You will be surprised how much more energy and heat they generate.