Time for a new air conditioner?
We’ll help you find one that saves you money.
TALK TO OUR EXPERTS
Our sales and install team is ready to replace your old air conditioner with one that will save you money on cooling costs for years to come. Contact us or call 561-495-7060 to schedule an appointment!
While not all parts of the U.S. rely on air conditioning in order to stay comfortable, but here in Florida, a functioning air conditioner is about as essential as oxygen itself. That is because we rely on air conditioning so heavily here on Florida’s eastern coast. If you understanding what a new, energy efficient AC unit can offer, that is a game changer.
Are new AC units really more efficient, and if so, what does that mean for your annual cooling costs?
As air conditioning experts serving homeowners in Palm Beach and Broward Counties and up the coast, we’re here to answer your questions about the efficiency of today’s modern air conditioners. We can also let you know when it’s time to replace that old AC unit in your home.
How a Newer Model Can Save on Cooling Costs
According to the Department of Energy, upgrading from an old AC unit to a new, energy efficient unit can save you between 20% and 40% on home cooling costs. Those are major financial savings when you consider the fact that home heating and cooling is the largest source of energy consumption in the home!
Why are the potential savings so high? Well, air conditioners have come a long way since that old AC unit was installed in your home about 15 years ago. Today’s models offer greater energy efficiency than ever, with SEER ratings as high as 23. (For comparison, many older air conditioning systems have SEER ratings of 10 and under.)
Signs That It’s Time for a New AC Unit
Compare your electricity bills to those of last year. Have they increased by 10% or more? If so, it could mean that your AC unit is declining in efficiency, costing you precious money. Similarly, if you’ve noticed that your cooling bills are higher than those of your neighbors, it could mean that your unit is improperly sized for your home.
Here is a good rule of thumb to go by:
- if repair costs are more than 25% the cost of a new unit, it’s time for a new unit.
- if you’ve had to make major repairs to your AC unit more than twice over the last 10 years, go ahead and replace it. Those repairs will continue to add up!
Are you still not sure if it’s time for an AC replacement? Here are a few more telltale signs to watch out for.
- Your AC unit approaching 15 years old. -A typical air conditioning unit lasts for approximately 15 to 20 years; however, keep in mind that AC units in Florida run for a longer portion of the year and are at times exposed to extreme weather conditions.
- Salt water will also eat away at a system and can cut the life drastically. You can expect units here on Florida’s eastern coast last between 10 and 15 years.
- Your AC unit needs extensive repairs. -If your air conditioner has extensive damage, such as a failed compressor or leaking condenser coils, chances are a replacement is a better option than repair.
- Your cooling bills are extremely high.
Upgrade to an Efficient Air Conditioner with Air-Ref Co
If you think your air conditioner may be nearing the end of its life, talk to the home comfort experts at Air-Ref Co. We offer professional installation of high-efficiency air conditioners from Carrier, as a Certified Dealer, giving you optimum home comfort to meet your budget.